I was born and raised here and I didn't know some of these.
- Nebraska was once called "The Great American Desert".
- In 1927, Edwin E. Perkins of Hastings invented the powered soft drink Kool-Aid.
- J. Sterling Morton founded Arbor Day in Nebraska City in 1872.
- The state nickname used to be the "Tree Planter's State", but was changed in 1945 to the "Cornhusker State".
- State insect is the honeybee.
- The Lied Jungle located in Omaha is the world's largest indoor rain forest.
- Nebraska is the birthplace of the Reuben sandwich.
- Spam (canned meat) is produced in Fremont.
- Nebraska has more miles of river than any other state.